5.07.2008

Back to the Hospital

On Saturday Owen and I spent most of the day hanging out at Grandma and Grandpa Fritz's house. Owen was such a character! He was smiling and cooing to his Grandma a lot... I still can't manage to capture one of his smiles yet.


Owen has to have hernia surgery this Friday. So that means he has to stay over night to be monitored. I keep telling myself that everything he's being put through is only making him stronger. When he came home from the hospital he had an umbilical hernia which is very common in premature boys. His belly button bulges out like a little balloon when he cries. Nearly all umbilical hernias resolve on their own by the time they are 5 years old. A week ago I notice another bulge on Owen's left side so I took him to see his doctor. It ended up being another hernia... an inguinal hernia. This one is a little more serious and could become infected if not removed. After talking to the surgeon we decided to fix the inguinal hernia on the left as well as making an incision on his right side only to make sure he doesn't have a hernia there as well. We are also leaving the umbilical hernia alone in hopes that it will heal on its own.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Hi Lacy -
What a wonderful idea. I cannot believe how big he is now. It is so good to see how big and healthy he is now. He will do very good on Friday, I will keep him my prayers. What a cutie.
Elaine

Laura said...

I've just been thinking of you all in the past couple days, so I'm thrilled that there's a page I can go to for updates! (Sophisticated, too, music and everything.) Owen is beautiful, and what a big boy! Unbelievable how much he's grown since he was born. Thinking of you and praying that the surgery will go well. He's a trouper.